What Should You Do if You’re Involved in an Accident with an Uninsured Driver?

Getting involved in an accident is never easy, but it’s even tougher when you’re dealing with someone who’s not insured. And this happens much more often than people imagine. Not to mention that most people are completely unaware of the difference between getting involved in an accident with an insured and uninsured driver and may have the wrong impression of what will happen next. In this article, we’re going to tell you exactly what you should do if you’re involved in a car accident with an under or uninsured driver.

accident with an uninsured driver

Call the Police Immediately

The first thing you should do when you’re in an accident with anybody, insured or not, is to call the police. But this is especially important if you’re dealing with an uninsured driver. The police report will be essential for establishing who’s at fault and it will make sure that the whole claim process goes easier and your expenses are covered.

Don’t Accept Money Under Any Circumstances

In some cases, people who drive without insurance may try to strike a deal right then and there to avoid litigation. But you can never tell how much your damages will amount to in the future. So even if you think that looks like a good deal at first, it’s always better to refuse the money.

Make Sure to Exchange Information

You also have to make sure that the both of you swap information before anyone leaves the scene. While they might not be able to give you insurance info, you can still get all their vehicle details, as well as their contact information. Don’t forget to get information from any willing witness since their testimony might be crucial for the case.

Know the Law in your Particular Jurisdiction

Before you go over the claims process, you first have to understand what kind of state you live in. If you live in a no-fault state like Florida, for instance, your insurance company will cover some of your damages, no matter who’s at fault in the accident and whether the other party is at fault or not. However, they will only compensate you up to 80% of your damages. You’ll have to find a way to collect the other 20% from the uninsured driver, usually through litigation. And this can only be done in certain circumstances.

If you work with a qualified lawyer who’s used to these types of cases, they will be able to guide you through the claims process and make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. They’ll also be able to see if you can actually have recourse on the other driver and what steps you should take.


While accidents can’t always be avoided, it’s always essential that you know which steps to take if you become a victim. Make sure that you take this advice into consideration and make sure that you seek professional help if you ever find yourself in this situation.