Now-a-day law disputes are very common between lawyers and clients. Money is always become a bone of contention, and when both parties refuse to budge an inch, things probably spoil.
When you hire a lawyer, make sure you ask for the conditions of the “tax” to be written in the contract. To prevent abuse, it is very important for you to know how lawyers calculate their fees! Request an itemized billing on a weekly or monthly.
To be on a safer side, keep a record of advances given to lawyer, as well as the duration, made phone calls, appearances etc of the Court.
Whenever some differences come to your attention while checking all invoices submitted by the lawyer, do not hesitate to make your doubts cleared.
Nevertheless, some litigation costs always between you and your lawyer, adjust immediately using the following tips:
- Discuss about billing at a meeting with the lawyer. Make sure that the amounts that need clarification or verification are highlighted.
- You can take the help of legal fee arbitration boards have been set up in several States. The Council aims to save time for small claims, district and superior courts.
- Do not forget to consider mediation services established by the Law Associations. These programs will provide mediators who will hear both sides of the conflict and then they try to resolve amicably.
- You can also hire another lawyer or attorney office to verify the accuracy of the invoice.
- In case of injustice, you have the right to bring an action against the lawyer.
- You can also file a complaint against the attorney with the Bar Association.
In short, if you want to be fair to the lawyer and yourself, make sure you determine what is considered reasonable.