The police bullying in our country and others is more important than you think. Not many people/victims complain or at least make a formal complaint against this impure act. The main reason for this, of course, is bullying. People fear of further harassment so they decide to keep everything for themselves.
If anyone complains, often the case is resolved in favor of the officer and against the complainant. So giving the offenders (police) without fear/threat or whether to commit the offence again. Although abusive officers are only a small percentage of police in duty, other officers who know the incident, saying and doing nothing to protect the organization as a whole.
Since this is something that is very widespread, complicated and perhaps political, one person cannot change, for the moment all we can do is to try to avoid this type of incident.
Your first line of defense against police intimidation is your knowledge. Know your rights as a citizen will give you leverage against people who try to harass you. Take control of the situation indicating the laws that protect civil/citizens in certain circumstances. Know what you have right and what you can refuse to do so will help you to make a stand. A large number of police bullying victims are afraid of authority that the police due to lack of knowledge on the issues concerned.
Here is a list of things you should remember when dealing with the police:
- Keep calm so you can choose your words and your actions carefully and avoid rapid movements.
- Avoid getting into an argument or losing your cool. Remember that everything you say or do can and will be used against you.
- Do not operate or touch the officer. It can be used as a reason to stop you.
- Do not resist. Even if you are innocent and you are not doing anything illegal, resistant can lead to arrest.
- Do not complain. If you make a scene or threaten to file a complaint, it will only make the situation worse.
- Try to write everything, including the officer’s name, badge number and car number.
- Look for witnesses. Write their names and reference addresses.
- In case you are injured due to the incident, documenting your injuries with photographs and medical reports.
Always remember to stay calm. As there are also some laws and regulations that protect the police, especially when someone’s arrest. You must ensure that you do not violate the rules and give them a legitimate reason to arrest or detain you. Become agitated will only worsen the situation, so stay cool even if you think you are being treated unfairly. Keep in mind that they are still using threats and intimidation to force you to waive your rights or push you to do something that will give them the power and control over you.