How to get a career in law
It may seem sometimes that very move we do is governed by the law. In our everyday life, in our business, in our relationships with society and our country, we must respect the law. A career in law is a popular choice. The belief is that much of a career in law is extremely financially rewarding. Yes, this may be true, but did you know it is not easy to achieve a career in law? You must have a good memory, superior intelligence, talent to gather facts, an analytical mind, stamina to work long hours and a good command of English.
When you think about careers in law, being a lawyer is top of the list. You can be a trial lawyer, one who prepares the case and argued before the judges in the courts or a contract lawyer who works for the firms which prepare or review agreements or contracts linked to the business activities. One can choose from a wide range of different areas of law. Here are a few:
- Civil law focuses on issues related to the rights of the people and the violations of these rights. He also discusses the preparation of documents relating to the bill of sale, mortgages, wills and assignment of trustees or guardians.
- Tax law focuses on tariffs or individuals contributions must pay for their income, their properties, companies or inheritances.
- Criminal Law handles crimes committed against a person or against the government. He is working on the details of a case for his defense.
- Company law focuses on issues relating to a company. It deals with the rights and company obligations they have towards their employees. He also helps the company to make an important decision whether to go with a law suit or not.
- International law focuses on agreements between countries.
- Labor law focuses on employees, their rights, their violations, their working conditions and their duties. It also handles disputes between the employer and its employees.
- Real Estate Law deals with issues relating to property such as the acquisition, sale or transfer of property under the supervision of someone other than the owner.
- Patent law gives inventors of the protection they need for their inventions. It also addresses violations committed under this law.
Another career in law is that for legal assistants or paralegals. They provide support to lawyers by researching and preparing all that is necessary. Paralegals prepare project documents and conduct interviews with witnesses related to the case. He can also be a court reporter who made a precise documentation of everything that is said in court proceedings. They prepare the legal documents of the procedure and are responsible for storing and retrieving these legal issues. Another career path is to be a mediator. A mediator decides differences and helps people agree on a solution without having to go to court as in the case of divorce and custody.
Finally, one can be a judge or magistrate. They supervise the trials and make sure that judicial participants follow the rules and protect the rights of people involved in the case. They listen to both sides and determine whether to admit evidence then decide whether the case should go to trial.